IOW Logo

Finances / tax classes

When having registered at the Ortsamt you will automatically receive a German tax ID number (Steueridentifikationsnummer) that will be sent to you within a couple of weeks to your registered address. The tax ID number is important for your salary. If you do not register, you will be put to "Steuerklasse VI" which is the highest tax class with the highest tax deduction. As soon as you receive the letter from the "Bundeszentralamt für Steuern" (BZSt) send a copy to IOW's human ressources.

Tax class I is reserved for all taxpayers who are not or no longer married. It is intended for people who are single, unmarried, divorced or widowed. Members of income tax class I have a restriction with regard to their options for choosing a tax class.

Tax class II is only intended for single parents. One of the prerequisites is that the single parent must live with at least one child to be considered for tax purposes.

The tax class with a married status is automatically tax class IV. Even if a spouse receives no salary, you are automatically classified in tax class 4. Tax class IV is useful for spouses who earn roughly the same amount. Married couples can change their tax classes to a III/V or IV/IV combination.

If you would like to have the tax class combination III/V, you must apply to the tax authority (Finanzamt).The change of the tax class cannot be done online. Therefore you must fill out this form ( and send it to the "Finanzamt Rostock" (Möllner Strasse 13, 18109 Rostock).

Tax class VI is intended for employees who have two or more jobs. The second job (if it exceeds the mini job limit) is always taxed according to income tax class VI. Deductions are particularly high in tax class VI.


Go back