Microbial Processes and Phosphorus Cycle
Phosphorus is an essential element for the development of phytoplankton and bacteria and can limit their growth.
The phosphorus cycle in the classical approach includes only few components, between which the phosphorus is transformed. However, the mechanisms of transformation are largely unknown. The investigation of the mechanisms in the phosphorus cycle in the Baltic Sea are the research focus of the working group.
The following themes have been or are processed:
● Phosphorus sources for bloom formation of diazotrophic cyanobkteria
● Cellular P-regulation of diazotrophic cyanobacteria
● Concentrations and composition of dissolved organic phosphorus (DOP)
● Impacts of ocean acidification on phosphorus dynamics
● Characterization of phosphorus pollution from diffuse sources