Microorganisms Ecology - Practical student course
Matthias Labrenz led a practical student course in the University of Klaipeda. The course took place from 05.03.2018 until the 16.03.2018 with10 participants.
Topics taught were
- core concepts and evolution of microorganisms, molecules and origins of life
- characteristics of communities and diversity
- study of individual microorganisms, bacterial isolation comprising classical identification methods and molecular identification methods
- cloning, PCR, 16S rRNA gene fingerprints, phylogeny
- growth and feeding, cultivation
- fundamentals of microbial population ecology
- microbes and processing nutrients
- microbes and processes
The programme included field work, laboratory work, lectures, student presentations and interactive group work.